October 26, 2010

Gossage Must Be Spinning

Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that I am less than enthusiastic about the magic of web advertising and pretty impressed by the staying power of television.

This leads a lot of people to assume that I am a heavy user of television and an unenthusiastic web user. The truth is exactly the opposite. I actually watch very little television and spend way too much time on the web.

Last week, however, with the SF Giants in a riveting pennant-deciding series with the Philadelphia Phillies, I had an opportunity to watch a lot of (Fox) network TV. The advertising I saw was abominable.

I don't usually comment on spots because there are more than enough blogs doing that (and also because I've written my fair share of duds) but the effect of watching a full week of witless nonsense has me astounded. WTF is going on?

The only explanation I can come up with is that clients must be allowing the flat tires who approve websites to approve TV spots. Or maybe it's the agencies who are allowing writers trained for the web to write for TV.

How else can you explain the Burger King "epic flute solo?"


Or this abomination from State Farm?



Something's rotten in the state of TV advertising.

No comments: